Realizing this again for the umpteenth time...

I get along better with men than I do women.
I befriend men a lot easier than I do women.

Why?

For the most part, women are complicated and dramatic, catty, snotty, and backstabbing. (Yes, I realize I am a female and am not exempt to irrational behavior.)

Where have I come to this realization again?

At work, among co-workers, of all places.

A certain group likes to talk about one person because they’re convinced she talks about them behind their back.

Who cares? Does that make it better? She does it, so you’re going to talk about her because you don’t like the idea of her talking about you? Now how in the H-E-double hockey sticks does that make sense?

Gah, I like these girls. They are nice and friendly and funny and they make me laugh. But of course, I’m becoming increasingly weary of what I say and who I say it to, because how do I know they’re not talking about me? I don’t. I’m starting to keep my distance and this is how is usually goes.

This past weekend I hung out with one of my male co-workers, his best friend from high school, and their friends from work (United Air). We went hiking, had lunch, and sat by the creek in Boulder. Why would I prefer to hang out with guys over girls? Because it makes for an easygoing day with no drama, no crap talking about people, just talking about everything else except other people.

G was a little concerned about me hanging out with a male co-worker, but like I told him, when I call this guy at work, he answers “Hey dude,” and I’m more than okay with that. That’s actually how I prefer things to be. I am his buddy. Want to know what he talks to me about? Girls he likes! Ha! (And no baby, that doesn't include me.)

Anyway – I have one good girlfriend here in Colorado. And thank God, she is normal! She’s one of the most level headed girlfriends I have (and T.L. and Ana). There’s no drama with her. And like we were discussing the other evening, we’re pretty sure a lot has to do with age. The girls at work are only a couple years younger, but it shows, and it’s weird to notice that. It makes me feel old-er.

I just can’t do catty. I hate gossip. I just can’t handle it. I’d just rather overlook everyone’s flaws, give them the benefit of the doubt, and be friends with everyone, but it doesn’t work out that way. I’m pretty sure, that although there are people here that DO NOT know me by any means, that there is something negative that’s said about me amongst these people. It just sucks.

It’s annoying and I don’t understand it.

I know I have my flaws and my moments of being a typical woman. However, I prefer not to be that way and to not surround myself with people that don't care about the way they're acting or what they're saying, and about whom.

Like usual, I’d rather befriend men over women. Lesson learned, again.

2 comments:

Kristan August 24, 2009 at 1:58 PM  

Yo, I TOTALLY agree with your reasons for not wanting to hang with those girls. What I find funny/sad is that at my work, my MALE MANAGERS are often the ones who are talking trash about people. It creates this whole vibe of gossip that trickles down, so even when someone (like me) wants to avoid it, it's nearly impossible.

I try, though. Like if someone else needs to vent, I try to sound sympathetic to their feelings without adding any complaints. Or else I say I'd rather talk about something else (like, "Haha, okay, now that we've got that out of our system, let's stop bashing everyone we work with!"). But it's hard to sustain a positive attitude when the complaint mentality is coming from the top down...

Anyway, sorry you're dealing with such catty stuff at work. I know all too well how that feels.

Taralyn August 24, 2009 at 9:58 PM  

Right there with you on this one!